Once Memorial Day arrives to the St. Louis area, the public pools open for the season. But if you own St. Louisor St. Charles County area real estate with a pool, you can open your pool whenever you want. However pool homes come with both pros and cons.
The Pros of Owning a Property with a Pool
- Pools are aesthetically pleasing and create a more beautiful landscape in your yard.
- Pool parties are a great way to entertain.
- Eat and drink whatever you want by your own pool, whereas other pools may have restrictions.
- Pools allow you to enjoy the outdoors in the hot St. Louis summers.
- A home for sale with a pool is a big attraction for pool people.
The Cons of Owning Property with a Pool
- There are costs associated with maintaining a pool.
- Pools can be a safety concern for small children or those who can’t swim.
- In Missouri you are required to have a fence around your pool for safety, so you my have to install fencing.
- You must keep homeowners insurance that covers the pool under “other structures” portion of the policy
- A home for sale with a pool is a turn off for non-pool people.
Pool Homes – Another Option
If you love a pool but are unsure of having your own pool at home, there is another option. Consider purchasing a home in a neighborhood that offers a community pool. This way you will have pool access without the maintenance. However you will still have some costs associated through homeowner’s association fees.
Adding a Pool To Your Property
If you are adding a pool to your property there are a few things to keep in mind. First, check for any city or neighborhood restrictions for pools. Especially check any regulations for required fencing types or height. You may want to install a pool cover or alarm to keep unwanted pool guests out. Also, compare types of pools. Some homeowners are finding saltwater pools to be a great option that is more expensive in the beginning but less expensive over time.
Buying or Selling a Home with a Pool
|Newly Constructed Villa Home For Sale in Wentzville with community pool.|
The Boehmer Team has a page dedicated just to St. Louis and St. Charles County area pool properties. Check it out to see pool homes currently on the market. The Boehmer Team has worked with many homebuyers and sellers over the years that have purchased and sold pool homes. Put our expertise to work for you the next time you buy or sell a pool property.